Monday, February 9, 2009

Music Review: 2009 Grammys

by Eric Green

Pete Seeger Wins Grammy "At 89"

In the category of Traditional Folk Music, Pete Seeger who is 89 years old won the Grammy Award for the best album of the year, "At 89". He doesn't seem to stop. From his great performance at the Lincoln Memorial music tribute to Barak Obama where he was his usual show stopper best to this Grammy Award. As you could guess, it was not awarded on the television program announcing the awards.

Other nominees were Peggy Seeger for her album "Bring Me Home;" and the great working class album by Kathy Mattea, "Coal." The Mattea album has been characterized as a "throw back" to past eras of folk music dominance. This album gives us a future to struggle for.

Anyone who is collecting folk albums, and I hope people still go to their favorite store to buy albums, should make these part of their collective.

Plant and Krauss

In an unusual win, the combination of Alison Krauss and Robert Plant's, "Raising Sand" won the Album of the Year. T. Bone Burnett produced the album.

British Rock Group, Cold Play, Top Rock Group

Wildly popular, Chris Martin and his British Rock Group, Cold Play won the top Rock and Roll record for the 2009 Grammy Awards. The Record, "Viva La Vida," lyrics are filled with a few interpretations, but the most obvious is the one found on various websites that commented on the lyrics:

"The lyrics tell the story of George W. Bush trying to rule the World and now he'll go to trial for his crimes. I love this song and it should be SONG OF THE YEAR."


Viva La Vida Lyrics

Cold Play

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
Once you go there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

Jazz Highlights

Best Jazz Vocal: Cassandra Wilson for "Loverly"
Best Contemporary Jazz Album: Randy Brecker
Best Instrumental Soloist Album: Terrance Blanchard for BeBop
Best Instrumental Album: Check Corea and Gary Burton New Crystal Show

Best Large Jazz Instrumental: Vanguard Jazz Orchestra For New Yorkers this is a special award given the important that the Village Vanguard has played in Music and NY history. The Monday nites with the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra are very special.

Blues

Best Traditional Blues album: BB King, One Kind Favor
Best Contemporary Blues Album: Dr. John & the Lower 9/11 City That Can't Forget

Sweet Caroline

The Grammy's seem to always do something different. This year we had Neil Diamond sing his famous song about Caroline Kennedy, "Sweet Caroline." Wonder if this had anything to do with her effort to become the NY Senator?

Other Awards

For Hip Hop, classical and other music awards, go to the Grammy.com web site.